With the New Year upon us you may be planning to make some resolutions. When it comes to fitness, it’s very common for people to rededicate themselves and start off with good intentions, only to fade and see their efforts ultimately fail. If you want to give yourself the best chance for success here are a few New Year’s Resolution tips for you.
1) Don’t try to make too may changes, the more you make the tougher they will be to keep.
2) Focus on the actions that will lead to results. It’s better to say “I will start working out and eating better” than say “I will lose 20 pounds”.
3) Be as specific as you can. It’s better to say “I will join a gym and workout 3-4 times a week” than say, “I will start a regular exercise program”
4) Prioritize one or two main things and support them with one or two complementary statements.
I will focus on my health and fitness this year.
I will get back in the gym and workout 3-4 times a week.
I will quite smoking.
I will eat less processed food and more fresh fruits and vegetables.
5) Finally, give yourself time to make and implement changes. Old habits can be tough to break. Don’t beat yourself up if you fall off. Just get back up, dust off your list and commit yourself to making the changes you want.
Photo: C. Redd